Saturday, November 9, 2013

Omar Chapel

Reed Township, Seneca County, Ohio


The Omar Chapel, constructed about 1842 as a Baptist church, stands in the midst of northeastern Seneca County's gently undulating farm fields. In a county endowed with Greek Revival buildings, it remains the region's greatest example of the style; an effect, perhaps, of its proximity to the Western Reserve.

I.T. Frary, author of Early Homes of Ohio, photographed the chapel in 1924:

Photo by I.T. Frary, 1924, courtesy of Christopher Busta-Peck.
From a different angle. The columns, I think, are not original.

Five-panel door with simple enframement. The flush siding is intended to emulate stone; such treatment is quintessentially Greek Revival.
Quite intact. After viewing the exterior, I expected bolder woodwork.
Adjacent to the chapel.

2 comments:

  1. The boarded-up window is not vandalism. The windows are being removed two at a time and being replaced with exact replicas using the original glass. I am the historian of Omar Chapel. See my BlogSpot at www.omarohio.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete